Getting XLSReadWriteII4 to work in BCB5

Questions and answers on how to use XLSReadWriteII 3/4/5.
graphicequaliser

Getting XLSReadWriteII4 to work in BCB5

Post by graphicequaliser »

Since there was no option to get the registered version for BCB5, I had to buy the D5 version and try it out. Depsite BCB5 being able to compile and install the XLSSuite4\Package\D5\XLSRWII4_D5.bpl file into the component palette, and the components there looking fine, as soon as I drop one onto a form, I get "Unable to Expand" dialog pop up with a single "OK" button on it. After this, the component properties are available in the Object Inspector, but it won't compile, since it cannot find XLSReadWriteII4.h (it is nowhere on the entire drive!) or the associated .lib file. I assume these need to be generated, but how do I do that from the pascal source that came with the registered version? :shock: :?: :cry:
graphicequaliser

Re: Getting XLSReadWriteII4 to work in BCB5

Post by graphicequaliser »

OMG! :P I have found out how to do it! It is a simple ( :lol: ) 12-step procedure :-

1) Install the .bpl file into your component palette.
2) Close All.
3) Create a new VCL app and drop the XLSRWII4 component onto it. Add all the Pascal source code for XLSRWII4 from SrcXLS into this project. Add all the obj files in SrcXLS\Obj directory to this project. Compile and link. This makes all the required hpp files for C++.
4) Close All.
5) Open a new Library project.
6) Add to Project, all obj files in SrcXLS\Obj directory.
7) Save it in SrcXLS with the name "XLSRWII4_D5".
8 ) Compile it to produce a lib file called SrcXLS\XLSRWII4_D5.lib
9) Open the project, and the form you wish to add a XLSRWII4 component to.
10) Drop the XLSRWII4 component onto the form.
11) In Project, Options, Directories/Conditionals tab, add SrcXLS to the Include and Library paths.
12) Add your code to do stuff with the XLSRWII4 component. Compile, Link, Run and enjoy!

HTH anybody with the same BCB5 IDE as me. 8)