XLSReadWriteII 5 - Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010

Questions and answers on how to use XLSReadWriteII 3/4/5.
markjforte

XLSReadWriteII 5 - Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010

Post by markjforte »

Hi, we are currently using Delphi 6 with XLSReadWriteII 2.02.35, and we are now in the process of migrating our code to Delphi 2010 (We bought licenses for 2010 2 years ago, but haven't had any time to use it. If and when we get migrated to 2010, we'll then probably go ahead and buy licenses for XE3). Since the software we work on is in continuous development, with production deployments every ~3 weeks, we need to do this migration gradually. Thus:

1) I see on your v5 download page that you have an installation for Delphi 7... Can you make an installation for Delphi 6?

2) While we are still using Delphi 6, can we have both XLSReadWrite II 2.0 and 5.0 be in use at the same time? In other words, is it okay for some of our old code to use v2.0, while some of our new code uses v5.0, within the same Delphi 6 application? I ask this because I assume we need to migrate all of our code off of v2.0, before we can start using Delphi 2010 (correct me if I'm mistaken), and it will probably take a few months for us to do this.

3) I'm curious how much has changed from v2.0 to v5.0, in so far as how difficult it will be to migrate our code? I suppose I'll find this out myself soon enough, but any insight would be appreciated.

4) If/When we purchase v5.0, will we also get the source to v4.0? I ask because in another thread it sounded like a lot may have changed from v4.0 to v5.0, so I'm wondering if it might be easier for us to migrate from v2.0 to v4.0. I'm also concerned that, since it was just released 2 days ago, v5.0 might have more bugs than the latest v4.0.

Thanks!
Mark
larsa
Site Admin

Re: XLSReadWriteII 5 - Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010

Post by larsa »

Hello

1. It's probably possible with some minor work to fix a package for D6, but we have not investigated this very deep.

2. Yes, you can have any combination of the component versions installed at the same time.

3. Reading and writing cell values has not changed at all. What's changed is graphical items and features new to Excel 2007.

4. Yes, you can download any previous version. Just send a notice and you will receive a password.
Lars Arvidsson, Axolot Data