XLSReadWriteII2 performance issue

Questions and answers on how to use XLSReadWriteII 3/4/5.
mclot

XLSReadWriteII2 performance issue

Post by mclot »

I'm using the XLSReadWriteII2 component (v. 3.01.02) with Delphi7 to create and read excel files in a terminal server environment (Citrix).
My big problem is that if the file to create or to read is on the user local disk and not on the terminal server disk, the performances are terrifying!
For example, I tried to create an xls file of 170 KB on the terminal server disk and it took 2 seconds while on the user local disk it took 35 minutes!!!! And this is systematic, each time.
It isn't a network problem for 2 reasons. The first is that I modified my program to create the xls file on the terminal server disk and then I copy the file to the user local disk: 3 seconds. The second is that I have other functionalities using file Excel via ADO and this way it's always fast.
Did anyone experienced my same problem with this component?
I don't find any component property I could apply to workaround this. Any suggestion?

Thanks
Massimo
larsa
Site Admin

Re: XLSReadWriteII2 performance issue

Post by larsa »

Hello

I don't have access to an environment like yours, but my guess is that it's the number of file operations that slows things down. Try to first write the file to a memory stream (use the WriteToStream method), then write the memory stream to the users disk.
Lars Arvidsson, Axolot Data