Excel 2007 Performance Issues

Questions and answers on how to use XLSReadWriteII 3/4/5.
jsbattig

Excel 2007 Performance Issues

Post by jsbattig »

I have been using the product for a few years now, and so far the support for Excel 97/2003 has been excellent, no complaints.
Support for 2007 is Ok, but I found problems with large spreadsheets; this is a problem that in 97/2003 doesn't exist tough.
It looks like the format in Excel 2007 poses some challenges to the structure of the component in the sense that everything is loaded into memory, using an awful amount of RAM memory therefore defeating one of the main features in Excel 2007 which is the breakage of the 65K rows limit.
From a practical point of view I found that the component doesn't behave acceptably when the 10000 rows threshold is reached in term of amount of memory needed...
Is there any plans to change the approach of processing 2007 files to improve performance?
shochberg

Re: Excel 2007 Performance Issues

Post by shochberg »

I found that using the deleterows function seemed to use a memory and then not release it. Repeated calls to deleterows caused the memory usage to overrun available memory on any file of significant size. I got around my problem by counting the rows I wanted to delete and then using a single deleterows to delete multiple rows - not a perfect solution but got me past the problem.

S
larsa
Site Admin

Re: Excel 2007 Performance Issues

Post by larsa »

Hello

I will check this.
Lars Arvidsson, Axolot Data