'Can not assign this interface' from Escher4

Questions and answers on how to use XLSReadWriteII 3/4/5.
shochberg

'Can not assign this interface' from Escher4

Post by shochberg »

OK, now I installed 4.00.12, and it appeared to fix the problem I previously reported, and no other problems were evident. So I released the product to the field and now I am getting reports of yet another new crash. I can't tell exactly in what version of XLS this problem was introduced, since I skipped over several updates.

When the program executes the statement:

XLSReadWriteII41.CopyRows(0,1,1,0,481,true),

The Escher4 module raises an exception in the Procedure TShape.Assign(Shape: TShape);

of 'Can not assign this interface'

I am emailing you one of several files on which this occurs. Note that it seems to ONLY occur when the second row (the first one with data rather than labels, in other words, row=1) is being copied. On rows past that row (3rd row ... ) the problem does NOT occur.

Since I have already released this file based on your assurances that problems had been resolved, I am now in a disaster because my customers are unable to use the product, so I need your immediate attention to this. If there is additional information you need, I would be glad to provide it promptly.

Thank you.
shochberg

Re: 'Can not assign this interface' from Escher4

Post by shochberg »

Some additional information.

The upper row 2, col 1 cell ("Harbauer" in the file I emailed) shows a little dotted box for chart formatting when you click on it. If I hit my delete key to make that box disappear, and then save the file without again clicking on that cell, the file runs properly. Something about that dotted box being there is confusing Escher4.

Thank you.
shochberg

Post by shochberg »

Yet another hint - if you save the .xls file I sent as a .xlsx file, XLS works correctly. If the file is then resaved as .xls, it fails again.

S
shochberg

Post by shochberg »

Thank you for your prompt reply and correction of this issue.

(Note to readers: I received a revised file from Lars offline via email.)

S
shochberg

Post by shochberg »

Now that I have installed the file you sent, the application that had the problem works fine, but another that uses XLS now refuses to compile, giving me the following error:

[DCC Error] Decoder.dpr(18): F2051 Unit DrawingObjChart4 was compiled with a different version of Escher4.TEscherDrawing

Now what???