DOCXReadWrite and PDF Export 2

Questions and answers on how to use DOCXReadWrite
eteoklis

DOCXReadWrite and PDF Export 2

Post by eteoklis »

Hello

We are trying to produce a massive pdf document for our client and we find it impossible to save as PDF a document with more than 30000 pages (save as DOCX fails also) although the preparing process finishes ok (10000 pages saves ok) . Is there an actual limitation in the size of the document that the DOCXReadWrite can handle/save? (other than memory i suppose).

P.S The document is produced by the repetition of a single page template file filled with data from a database.

Thanks in advance
larsa
Site Admin

Re: DOCXReadWrite and PDF Export 2

Post by larsa »

Hello

A DOCX file can have max 32768 pages. A PDF can have around 2,600,000 pages depending on the complexity of the pages. What is it that fails? When you execute SaveToFile?
Lars Arvidsson, Axolot Data
eteoklis

Post by eteoklis »

Yes the problem occurs when we savetofile. But as we can see the problem of saving is the same regardless of the file type. We have made some tests that we can share.

Our process appends the same 1 page template many times based on database data in a resulting document and we save it. The template has a small image in header and a table that we insert data with find/replace.

1,000 pages the process completed in 7" (prepare and save as pdf)

3,000 pages the process completed in 43" (prepare and save as pdf)

9,000 pages the process completed in 6'42" (prepare and save as pdf)

80,000 pages the process in 9 hour prepared the document but never completed the pdf save to file (waited for 5 hours and gave up).

Our goal is to somehow process 4,000,000 pages in smaller part files. (Maybe there is a memory leak somewhere because the time expansion is somehow overwhelming)

After the first try we expected the time to be proportional and not exponential.
larsa
Site Admin

Post by larsa »

Hello

I did some tests and I could cut the time to 18 seconds when creating and saving 40,000 pages as PDF. Got an out of memory error when trying 80,000 pages. I will post an update next week with this fix.
Lars Arvidsson, Axolot Data